Start now

Sibling Petition

You grew up together… but now you’re living apart. For many of us, our siblings are our best friends, our closest confidants, and our partners in crime. Being separated from them can take an emotional toll – especially when you are countries away from the person who knows you better than anyone else. 

If you’re looking to get a Green Card for siblings, you are in the right place. We are here to guide you through the sibling petition process, helping you understand the fastest way to bring a sibling to the USA and walking you through every step you will need to take to get there.

You have probably been dreaming of your reunion with your brother or sister for months, or maybe even years. When it comes to getting a visa for your brother or sister, however, the process can be lengthy – so it’s important to get started as soon as possible. Check out this comprehensive guide to find out everything you need to know. 

Sibling Petition Basics

A sibling petition is a part of the “Family petition” process. You might have heard of this before – or maybe you even visited the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) website and tried to read about it. But it’s easy to get overwhelmed by that organization’s professional jargon and legalese. Why does it seem so difficult to find basic information? 

If you have had that feeling, you are not alone. You deserve access to information about the USCIS sibling petition process in clear, understandable language. And that is exactly what we are here to provide. 

Basically, the sibling petition immigration process is a way to bring your sibling (brother, sister, or both) to live in the United States as a Green Card holder. 

Sounds simple, doesn’t it? That’s because it is. Of course, there are some rules and regulations around siblings petition, but the general idea is fairly straightforward. If you are a United States citizen yourself, you can petition to bring your sibling to the U.S. 

Get Ready… Get Set… File!

It’s time to get started with a U.S. citizen filing for a brother or sister. To obtain a green card for siblings, the first step is to file Form I-130, also called the “Petition for Alien Relative.” The name might sound long and intimidating, but don’t worry – we can help. At Consulta, our Family Petition service is geared toward situations just like yours.  

You will also need documentation to prove your sibling status… No, it’s not enough that you two look alike! The U.S. government will want to see a copy of both siblings’ birth certificates to prove that you have at least one shared parent – in other words, half-siblings make the cut, too! (For step-siblings and siblings via adoption, you will need some additional documents.) 

Finally, you will need evidence that you are a U.S. citizen. Only U.S. citizens aged 21 and up can file to bring a sibling to the U.S., so you will need to show a U.S. passport, U.S. birth certificate, or naturalization certificate to prove you are a citizen of The United States of America.

Green Card for Siblings Processing Time

The waiting time can be challenging. The siblings of U.S. citizens have to wait until there is a visa number available for them – they cannot come live in the U.S. while the application is pending. 

As of 2023, the estimated wait time for USCIS to process Form I-130 for siblings of U.S. citizens ranges from 2 to 3 years. After the I-130 is approved by USCIS, your petition gets transferred to the National Visa Center (NVC) to wait for a visa number to become available within your family preference category. For this instance, it is the fourth preference. You may check the Visa Bulletin website to see which year NVC is currently processing (it usually takes 10 to 15 years).

In other words, it’s essential to start the process as soon as possible, because these applications are handled on a first-come, first-served basis. 

Who Can Join Your Sibling’s Petition?

The good news? The USCIS sibling petition does come with some benefits. You might have heard of what’s called “derivative” family members… if you haven’t, don’t worry. We’ll explain. 

Derivative family members are the beneficiary’s spouse and minor children (children under 18), who can join without submitting a separate Form I-130 petition. 

Let’s use an example. Imagine that you are a U.S. citizen over the age of 21. You filed Form I-130 to petition your sister to the United States. Once the petition is approved and sent to the National Visa Center, you can add her derivative family members, enabling all of them to come to the U.S. together. 

For many families, these benefits are great news. Family Petitions can be daunting because you can only petition for immediate blood relatives (and that does not extend to aunts, uncles, cousins, and others). But if you can help your sibling get a U.S. visa, then your sibling will be able to bring his or her family with her when they immigrate. 

Get Help With the USCIS Sibling Petition

At Consulta Immigration, we’re focused on making immigration easy – that means sharing accurate, up-to-date information with you in language that we can all understand. You won’t find confusing jargon or legal terms here. Instead, we will work with you to help you and your loved ones navigate the immigration process seamlessly. Get in touch with us today.

Sibling Petition FAQs

What relatives can a U.S. citizen sponsor?

A U.S. citizen can sponsor relatives in several different categories. Eligible relationship categories include spouses, children, siblings, and parents. Ineligible categories include cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents, and other relatives who are even further removed. 

How much does it cost to Petition for siblings?

The filing fee for Form I-130 is $535 as of 2023. When you work with Consulta, we will help you get the best results possible and ensure the process goes smoothly. We charge a $500 fee for our services.

Related Resources

Traveling to Canada with a Green Card: What You Need to Know

Green card holders, enjoy Canada visa-free (for short visits)! 🇨🇦 This guide outlines what you need: valid passport, green card, & often an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). Avoid entry hassles - be prepared! pen_spark

Supporting Your Loved One’s Immigration Journey: A Guide to Writing a Strong Letter of Support

Struggling with your immigration support letter? Don't worry! This guide simplifies the process. Learn what to include (relationship proof, positive qualities, future plans), how to structure it, and get tips for a strong tone and avoiding errors. Increase your loved one's chances of success!

Your Guide to the U.S. Diversity Visa Program (Green Card Lottery)

Free chance to live & work permanently in the US! Learn eligibility, application process, deadlines & what to do if selected (medical exam, interview). Start your journey today!

Efficient. Accessible. Affordable Immigration.