Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, is a form filed by a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident (LPR) to establish the relationship with a foreign national relative who wishes to immigrate to the United States or in some cases the relative is already in the U.S. The purpose of this form is to initiate the process of obtaining a family-based immigrant visa or green card for the foreign national relative.
To be eligible to apply for Petition for Alien Relative, a person must generally meet the following requirements:
- Sponsor Eligibility: The petitioner (U.S. citizen or LPR) must be at least 21 years old and meet the requirements for their respective status.
- Relationship Categories: The form is used to establish the relationship between the petitioner and the foreign national relative. Eligible relationships include:
- Spouse: A U.S. citizen or LPR can petition for their foreign national spouse.
- Child: A U.S. citizen can petition for their unmarried children under 21 years old. LPRs can petition for their unmarried children of any age.
- Parent: A U.S. citizen can petition for their foreign national parent.
- Sibling: A U.S. citizen can petition for their foreign national sibling.